The Walton Family Foundation (WFF) is looking for a consultant to Review Komnas Kajiskan (National Commission on Fish Resource Assessment) with the following specification:
|Title:||Consultant to Review Komnas Kajiskan (STA-KK_Cons)|
|Reports to:||STA Project Leader & Technical Lead Governance|
The Walton Family Foundation (WFF) is supporting supplemental technical assistance (STA) to the United States Agency for International Development’s Sustainable Ecosystems Advanced (USAID SEA) Project, a five-year project (March 2016 to March 2021) that supports the Government of Indonesia to improve the governance of fisheries and marine resources at local, district, provincial, and national levels and to conserve marine biological diversity. The STA will be used to augment USAID SEA Project results using science, technology, and innovation, and therefore, the STA will also work in Indonesia’s Fishery Management Area (FMA) or Wilayah Pengelolaan Perikanan (WPP)-715, which is the area of work of USAID SEA Project. The STA was developed to respond to the Memorandum of Understanding between USAID and the WFF. Specifically, the STA will directly support: (1) USAID SEA Project Strategic Approach 2 – TA1 – Improve ecosystem management of FMA 715 and MPAs; and (2) Strategic Approach 4 – Advance Policies and Regulations. The STA will focus on national-level activities and use FMA 715 for piloting demonstrations as needed to support the Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries (MMAF) beginning in July 2019 and extending over a 20-month period coinciding the SEA Project completion date on March 30, 2021. The USAID SEA Project is implemented by Tetra Tech and by a consortium of partners.
Komnas Kajiskan (National Commission on Fish Resource Assessment) is an independent body reporting to the Minister of Marine Affairs and Fisheries and is responsible for the: (1) scientific review of fish stock assessments conducted by scientists of the Fisheries Research Center (Pusat Riset Perikanan) in the Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries (MMAF); and (2) the development of management recommendations, such as on maximum sustainable yield (MSY) and total allowable catch (TAC), for all of Indonesia’s fisheries to the Minister of Marine Affairs and Fisheries. In order to support the Komnas Kajiskan, the STA Project will recruit a consultant to work with the STA Project Leader/Technical Lead Governance and the rest of the STA Project Team to achieve targeted outputs and outcomes. In order to perform this assignment, the Consultant may utilize any appropriate and relevant qualitative and/or quantitative methods, and a combination of secondary and primary data should be used. Furthermore, key stakeholders and partners for this consultancy assignment are members of the Komnas Kajiskan, senior fisheries scientists and officials from MMAF, fisheries scientists and academics from universities, and as well as NGOs that work on fisheries in Indonesia.
III. Objective and Scope of Work
The primary objective of this consultancy assignment is to conduct a comprehensive analysis about the current role, function and governance of Komnas Kajiskan and bench-marking these with the governance practices of other Indonesian National Commissions (Komnases). A selection of Komnases to be bench-marked against Komnas Kajiskan will be decided upon discussion with STA Project.
Under direct supervision of STA Project Leader & Technical Lead Governance, the Consultant is responsible to carry out the following tasks
- Desk-top review phase: Conduct a comparative analysis of good governance practices and reporting structures of current Komnas Kajiskan and other existing Komnases (National Commissions) in Indonesia. An outline of the topics covered in the comparative review will be provided before the review is conducted. A governance mapping of all of these Komnases would be useful in order to learn from all of these Komnases and to identify potential changes and improvements that could be adopted by the Komnas Kajiskan to increase transparency and standing as the national entity providing management recommendations that impact food security and economic development.
- Field work: Conduct key informant interviews and/or a small workshop concerning governance practices, reporting structure, and budgets of the Komnas Kajiskan and other national commissions in Indonesia.
- Draft Report:
- Develop a draft of Komnas Kajiskan Governance Comparative Review Report which presents governance mapping, governance issues, good practices, capacity needs, and recommendations for improved governance.
- Develop a draft white paper that analyzes legal frameworks, good practices, and reporting structures of other existing Indonesian national commissions to identify potential changes and improvements in membership, decision making, reporting, and accountability that could be adopted by the Komnas Kajiskan. The draft white paper will also summarizes key recommendations and detailing proposed revisions to Komnas Kajiskan governance for review and feedback from the Komnas Kajsikan and MMAF. This white paper will serves as the basis for a revised Ministerial Regulation on Komnas Kajiskan.
- Final report:
- Finalize the reports above (Draft Report a and b) by incorporating and synthesizing feedbacks from STA Project Leader & Technical Lead Governance and STA Project Team, the Komnas Kajiskan, and the MMAF.
- Assist the STA Project Leader & Technical Lead Governance and the rest of STA Project Team, MMAF and Komnas Kajiskan by compiling a policy brief to support the draft development of pre‐draft Ministerial regulation for adoption.
IV. Deliverables and Reporting
The consultant shall submit the following deliverables:
- Bi-weekly updates;
- List of other Komnases (Komisi Nasional) to be reviewed for comment and approval
- List of topics covered by the comparative review for comment and approval
- Comparative Review Report outline for comment and approval
- Draft and Final Komnas Kajiskan Governance Comparative Review Report (in Bahasa Indonesia and English);
- A white paper detailing proposed revisions to Komnas Kajiskan governance and summarizes key recommendations (in Bahasa Indonesia and English);
- A policy brief to assist the MMAF in the revision of Ministerial Regulation on Komnas Kajiskan (in Bahasa Indonesia and English).
Schedule of the deliverables:
|1.||Komnas Kajiskan Governance Comparative Review Report, detailing the comparative review and governance mapping (in Bahasa Indonesia and English)||April 15, 2020|
|2.||A white paper (in Bahasa Indonesia and English) detailing proposed revisions to Komnas Kajiskan governance and summarizes key recommendations||May 31, 2020|
|3.||A policy brief (in Bahasa Indonesia and English) to revise the Ministerial Regulation on Komnas Kajiskan||June 30, 2020|
A tentative content for deliverable I:
- Title and opening pages;
- Table of contents;
- List of acronyms and abbreviations;
- Executive summary;
- Goal and objectives;
- Data analysis;
- Results and Discussions;
- Lessons learned;
- Report annexes.
V. Remuneration Amount
The consultant will receive remuneration subject to deliverables as per the arrangement listed below:
- Upon signature of the contract: 10% of the total amount of the contract
- Deliverable 1 – Komnas Kajiskan Governance Comparative Review Report: 25% of the total amount of the contract
- Deliverable 2 – A white paper detailing proposed revisions to Komnas Kajiskan governance and summarizes key recommendations: 35% of the total amount of the contract
- Deliverable 3 – A policy brief to revise the Ministerial Regulation on Komnas Kajiskan: 30% of the total amount of the contract
|Education and Work Experience||:||
VII. Supervision and Reporting
The Consultant will work under supervision of STA Project Leader & Technical Lead Governance. The consultant is responsible to make report to STA Project Leader & Technical Lead Governance.
VIII. Location, Timeframe, and Level of Effort
The assignment will be conducted in Indonesia. The consultant may work at the USAID-SEA Project office in Jakarta when requested by the Supervisor (STA Project Leader & Technical Lead Governance). The period of this consultancy assignment will begin as soon as possible and be completed on or about July 31, 2020, with Level of Effort to be discussed with STA Project Team.
If you are interested and qualified, please send your latest CV (no more than 10 pages) to: Jobs@SEA-Indonesia.org before 28 February 2020. Please note the title of the position you are applying for in your submission email.