The Walton Family Foundation (WFF) is looking for a consultant as Legal Specialist to Review Komnas Kajiskan (National Commission on Fish Resource Assessment) with the following specification:
|Title:||Legal Specialist to Review Komnas Kajiskan (STA-KK_LS)|
|Reports to:||STA Project Leader & Technical Lead Governance|
The Walton Family Foundation (WFF) is supporting supplemental technical assistance (STA) to the United States Agency for International Development’s Sustainable Ecosystems Advanced (USAID SEA) Project, a five-year project (March 2016 to March 2021) that supports the Government of Indonesia to improve the governance of fisheries and marine resources at local, district, provincial, and national levels and to conserve marine biological diversity. The STA will be used to augment USAID SEA Project results using science, technology, and innovation, and therefore, the STA will also work in Indonesia’s Fishery Management Area (FMA) or Wilayah Pengelolaan Perikanan (WPP)-715, which is the area of work of USAID SEA Project. The STA was developed to respond to the Memorandum of Understanding between USAID and the WFF. Specifically, the STA will directly support: (1) USAID SEA Project Strategic Approach 2 – TA1 – Improve ecosystem management of FMA 715 and MPAs; and (2) Strategic Approach 4 – Advance Policies and Regulations. The STA will focus on national-level activities and use FMA 715 for piloting demonstrations as needed to support the Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries (MMAF) beginning in July 2019 and extending over a 20-month period coinciding the SEA Project completion date on March 30, 2021. The USAID SEA Project is implemented by Tetra Tech and by a consortium of partners.
Komnas Kajiskan (National Commission on Fish Resource Assessment) is an independent body reporting to the Minister of Marine Affairs and Fisheries and is responsible for the: (1) scientific review of fish stock assessments conducted by scientists of the Fisheries Research Center (Pusat Riset Perikanan) in the Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries (MMAF); and (2) the development of management recommendations, such as on maximum sustainable yield (MSY) and total allowable catch (TAC), for all of Indonesia’s fisheries to the Minister of Marine Affairs and Fisheries. In order to support the Komnas Kajiskan, the STA Project will recruit a Legal Specialist to work with the STA Project Leader/Technical Lead Governance and the rest of the STA Project Team to achieve targeted outputs and outcomes. In order to perform this assignment, the Legal Specialist may utilize any appropriate and relevant qualitative and/or quantitative methods, and a combination of secondary and primary data should be used. Furthermore, key stakeholders and partners for this consultancy assignment are members of the Komnas Kajiskan, senior fisheries scientists and officials from MMAF, fisheries scientists and academics from universities, and as well as NGOs that work on fisheries in Indonesia.
III. Objective and Scope of Work
The primary objective of this consultancy assignment is to draft an Academic Manuscript outlining recommendations for MMAF to improve the governance and performance of Komnas Kajiskan.
Under direct supervision of STA Project Leader & Technical Lead Governance, the Legal Specialist is responsible to carry out the following tasks:
- Desk-top review phase: Conduct a comparative analysis of good governance practices and reporting structures of current Komnas Kajiskan and other existing Komnases (National Commissions) in Indonesia. An outline of the topics covered in the comparative review will be provided before the review is conducted.
- Field work: Conduct key informant interviews and/or (participated in) a small workshop concerning governance practices, reporting structure, and budgets of the Komnas Kajiskan and other national commissions in Indonesia.
- Draft Report: Develop a draft Academic Manuscript, outlining recommendations for MMAF to improve the governance and performance of Komnas Kajiskan
- Final report: Finalize the draft Academic Manuscript above by incorporating and synthesizing feedbacks from STA Project Leader & Technical Lead Governance and STA Project Team, the Komnas Kajiskan, and the MMAF.
IV. Deliverables and Reporting
The Legal Specialist shall submit the following deliverables:
- Bi-weekly updates;
- Outline of the Academic Manuscript for comment and approval
- Draft and Final Academic Manuscript (in Bahasa Indonesia and English);
Schedule of the deliverables:
|1.||Submission of the outline of Academic Manuscript||June 5, 2020|
|2.||Draft Academic Manuscript (in Bahasa Indonesia and English) outlining recommendations for MMAF to improve the governance and performance of Komnas Kajiskan||June 30, 2020|
|3.||Final Academic Manuscript (in Bahasa Indonesia and English) outlining recommendations for MMAF to improve the governance and performance of Komnas Kajiskan||July 31, 2020|
V. Remuneration Amount
The Legal Specialist will receive remuneration subject to deliverables as per the arrangement listed below:
- Upon signature of the contract and finalization of administrative arrangement: 10% of the total amount of the contract;
- Submission of Draft Academic Manuscript and upon satisfactory review of the draft manuscript: 25% of the total amount of the contract; and
- Submission of Final Academic Manuscript: 25% of the total amount of the contract
- Upon review by STA Project Team and satisfactory completion of the Final Academic Manuscript: the rest of the remuneration (40%).
|Education and Work Experience||:||
VII. Supervision and Reporting
The Legal Specialist will work under supervision of STA Project Leader & Technical Lead Governance. The Legal Specialist is responsible to make report to STA Project Leader & Technical Lead Governance.
VIII. Location, Timeframe, and Level of Effort
The assignment will be conducted in Indonesia. The Legal Specialist may work at the USAID-SEA Project office in Jakarta when requested by the Supervisor (STA Project Leader & Technical Lead Governance). The period of this consultancy assignment will begin as soon as possible and be completed on or about July 31, 2020, with Level of Effort to be discussed with STA Project Team.
If you are interested and qualified, please send your latest CV (no more than 10 pages) to: Jobs@SEA-Indonesia.org before 08 April 2020. Please note the title of the position you are applying for in your submission email.