|JOB TITLE||:||Policy Specialist|
|REPORT TO||:||Governance Advisor/Institutional Development Task Leader|
|DUTY STATION||:||Jakarta, Indonesia|
Now in the third-year project implementation, USAID SEA Project continues to support MMAF and DKP to strengthen policies, laws, regulations, and/or the implementation to improve and enhance the practice of ecosystem approach for fisheries management (EAFM), and to improve the management of marine protected areas (MPA) and expand MPA coverage. In order to achieve these objectives, in 2019 the policy component of the USAID SEA Project is supporting MMAF with fisheries industrialization strategy, MPA management policy, MPA Network guidance, and monitoring and evaluation policy for Marine Spatial Plan implementation. In addition, to ensure the effectuate marine and fisheries management, USAID SEA Project is supporting MMAF to strengthen marine and fisheries policies such as community-based surveillance system policy, and marine and fisheries compliance strategy. At the same time, the USAID SEA Project is support DKP Provinces in developing policy to combat destructive fishing practices, and also to strengthen enabling conditions for sustainable fisheries and MPA management practices in the provincial medium-term development plan (Rencana Pembangunan Jangka Menengah Daerah or RPJMD) and strategic plan of provincial DKP.
The assistances are conducted by providing technical assistance to develop policy recommendations that are developed together with the marine and fisheries policy network that consists of MMAF, DKP, universities, NGOs, community, and, marine and fisheries business institutions and associations. At the same time USAID SEA Project will support our counterpart to strengthen and/or develop supporting policy forums, and the effective operational procedures/protocols for better policy implementation in the future.
To provide the assistance, USAID SEA Project needs to ensure that quality policy recommendations are developed together with the marine and fisheries policy network. The recommendations will provide optimal solutions based on factual success, solid evidence, and strong scientific and technical arguments together with comprehensive feasibility and/or impact analysis from ecological, socio-cultural, economic, and administrative aspects. Thus, the USAID SEA Project is recruiting a Policy Specialist to support the marine and fisheries policy network to develop sound recommendations for strengthening the existing policies or for creating new policies.
The Policy Specialist is responsible for supporting MMAF and Maluku Province, North Maluku Province and West Papua Province to develop strategic policy recommendations and to provide excellent analysis and recommendations for better implementation of marine and fisheries policies in the existing Indonesian governance context and system.
To implement the SEA policy facilitation strategy, the Policy Specialist will:
- Develop policy papers that provide strategic policy recommendations for MMAF and DKPs on those policies mentioned above. The recommendations shall be developed based on assessment and policy dialogues with the stakeholder at national and provincial level. In order to conduct the assessment, the Policy Specialist will be responsible to:
- Develop policy feasibility assessment methodology and guidance, including the regulatory impact assessment guidance, with other technical specialist.
- Develop and/or facilitate the development of initial policy recommendation concepts
- Discuss and consult the concept, and periodically triangulate it with MMAF, DKPs, and the related policy network
- Develop an initial policy paper which includes an implementation feasibility analysis
- Develop regulatory impact assessment for specific policies as required, with other technical specialist.
- Create and/or implement trainings on policy subjects.
- Engage with government and stakeholders of marine and fisheries management at national and provincial levels.
- Present and/or facilitate workshops or FGDs or any other discussions with the ministry and provinces, and present relevant material as USAID SEA Project representative.
- Work togerther with USAID SEA Project Team in advocating policy recommendations
- Be part of USAID SEA Project Team and contribute to the work of the team as required.
The Policy Specialist shall submit the standard SEA Project quarter reports as part of the policy component and any other assigned specific policy reports within the work plan and be fully responsible for all administrative matters pertaining to the position. The Policy Specialist will work together with, and report to the SEA Institutional Development/Governance Advisor, the SEA COP and DCOP.
Master degree in marine and fisheries or environmental policy or public policy with experience in policy facilitation at least for 3 years intensive and have strong experience in fisheries policy facilitation.
Work Experience :
- Proven skills to develop policy paper/briefs with qualitative policy analysis
- Proven skills on capacity building aspect
- Proven skills on project or program reporting in English
- Bahasa Indonesia and English fluency (oral and written) required.
Required Documents :
- The candidate is required to submit sample of her/his policy paper work. Fisheries or MPA policy paper is preferable. Policy paper on other topics that describe the policy analysis skills of the candidate is very welcome as well.
- The candidate has to explain her/his capacity building work in the application letter
- The candidate should submit her/his project/program reporting written in English attached in their application letter. The required documents have to be submitted together with the application letter and CV. Only the candidates submitted completed requirement will be shortlisted.
- Able to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Able to function in a heterogeneous team
- High degree of adaptability to varied working environments and good interpersonal and teamwork
If you are interested and qualified, please send your latest CV (max. 10 pages) and motivation letter answering the qualification criteria to : Jobs@SEA-Indonesia.org before February 8th 2019. Please note the title of the position you are applying for in your submission email.